Make an Appointment Now!


45 Bromfield Street

Suite 500

Boston, MA 02108

Downtown Crossing near Granary Burying Ground between Nine Bar and Bromfield Jewelers










Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other times by Appointment.


  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

DISCLAIMER: You may not use this website to provide confidential information about a legal matter of yours to me. Your use of this website does not make you my client or even my prospective client. If you have confidential information that you would like to give me, please communicate with me in person or by telephone–not by filling in any form on this website or by sending an unsolicited email to me.

  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 by Law Office of Matthew W. Peterson

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Nav Map

best criminal defense lawyer boston ma
  • Matthew W. Peterson

Can I Work While My Green Card Petition is Pending?

Updated: Mar 13

If you have filed an application for adjustment of status, you may apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) while the green card application is pending. This is done with a Form I-765. It requires no additional fee when filed along with an application to adjust status.

When you apply for an employment authorization card, you can also choose to apply for a social security number and card. However, your social security information generally comes later.

There are other circumstances where you may apply for an employment authorization document, but you should consult with an immigration attorney if you think you may qualify.

How Long Does It Take for an Application for an Employment Authorization Document to be Processed?

Generally, you should receive your employment authorization document prior to your green card. However, the processing time for the I-765 has increased significantly.

It usually takes around 8-10 months for your application for an employment authorization card to be processed. Depending on how you filed it, your EAD should arrive at your immigration attorney's office.

Not consulting with an immigration lawyer can often be costly - it can mean you could face longer waiting times, requests for evidence, and possibly a denial of your claim. Please contact me today if you need help with your immigration application or anything else. I'd be glad to help!

My office is located in Boston, Massachusetts, but I practice immigration law all over Massachusetts. Call me today at 617-356-8217, and let's get started on your immigration petition today!