Make an Appointment Now!


45 Bromfield Street

Suite 500

Boston, MA 02108

Downtown Crossing near Granary Burying Ground between Nine Bar and Bromfield Jewelers










Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other times by Appointment.


  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

DISCLAIMER: You may not use this website to provide confidential information about a legal matter of yours to me. Your use of this website does not make you my client or even my prospective client. If you have confidential information that you would like to give me, please communicate with me in person or by telephone–not by filling in any form on this website or by sending an unsolicited email to me.

  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 by Law Office of Matthew W. Peterson

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Nav Map

best criminal defense lawyer boston ma
  • Matthew W. Peterson

What Happens if I Get Divorced with a Conditional Green Card?

Updated: Mar 13

When you are granted an adjustment of status based on a marriage under two years old, you are granted a conditional green card. This conditional green card is only good for two years.

You must remove the conditions by filing an I-751 within 90 days of the conditional green card expiring.

But what happens if you get divorced before you remove the conditions on your conditional green card? Fortunately, you can still receive a 10-year green card and remove the conditions on your conditional green card.

You must file a waiver of the joint filing requirement. You must submit evidence that the marriage was actually bona fide and not entered into to evade immigration laws.

If you have a conditional green card and get divorced, you can still remove the conditions and receive a 10-year green card. An immigration attorney can help you submit the correct forms and receive your green card.

My office is located in Boston, Massachusetts, but I practice immigration law all over Massachusetts. Call me today at 617-356-8217 if you need an immigration lawyer in Massachusetts.