Make an Appointment Now!


45 Bromfield Street

Suite 500

Boston, MA 02108

Downtown Crossing near Granary Burying Ground between Nine Bar and Bromfield Jewelers










Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other times by Appointment.


  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

DISCLAIMER: You may not use this website to provide confidential information about a legal matter of yours to me. Your use of this website does not make you my client or even my prospective client. If you have confidential information that you would like to give me, please communicate with me in person or by telephone–not by filling in any form on this website or by sending an unsolicited email to me.

  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 by Law Office of Matthew W. Peterson

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Nav Map

best criminal defense lawyer boston ma
  • Matthew W. Peterson

How Do I Get a Gun License in Massachusetts?

Updated: Mar 13

There are two different types of firearm licenses in Massachusetts. A Firearm Identification Card (FID) (otherwise known as a Class B license) allows you to carry (non-large capacity) shotguns and rifles. A License to Carry (LTC) (otherwise known as a Class A license) permits you to carry large capacity handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and allows you to carry a concealed handgun.

A firearms license is required to purchase all types of ammunition in Massachusetts.

You cannot obtain a firearms license if:

  • You are under 21 for a LTC (you may receive an FID if you're over 18, but you can receive one if you're over 15 with parental consent)

  • You have been convicted of a felony

  • You have been convicted of misdemeanor punishable by up to two years

  • You have been convicted of a violent offense

  • You have been convicted of any offense involving illegal possession of a gun or ammunition and a term of imprisonment was imposed

  • You have been convicted of a controlled substance offense

  • You have been convicted of a domestic violence offense

  • You have been institutionalized in a substance abuse or alcohol abuse institution or a mental health institution, although there are some exceptions

  • You are not a citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)

  • Have an arrest warrant pending in any jurisdiction

  • Have been dishonorably discharged from the military

Convicted includes youthful offender and juvenile adjudications.

Licenses are valid for 6 years. You can apply or be renewed at your local police station.

Please contact a Massachusetts attorney if you have any questions about receiving a firearms license. Contact me, and I'd be glad to help!

My office is located in Boston, Massachusetts, but I handle criminal cases, including firearms offenses and issues with firearms licenses, in all Massachusetts courts. Contact me at 617-356-8217.