Make an Appointment Now!


45 Bromfield Street

Suite 500

Boston, MA 02108

Downtown Crossing near Granary Burying Ground between Nine Bar and Bromfield Jewelers










Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other times by Appointment.


  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

DISCLAIMER: You may not use this website to provide confidential information about a legal matter of yours to me. Your use of this website does not make you my client or even my prospective client. If you have confidential information that you would like to give me, please communicate with me in person or by telephone–not by filling in any form on this website or by sending an unsolicited email to me.

  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 by Law Office of Matthew W. Peterson

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Nav Map

best criminal defense lawyer boston ma
  • Matthew W. Peterson

What are the Penalties for Disturbing the Peace in Massachusetts?

Updated: Mar 13

A "disturber of the peace" or "disorderly person" is punishable with a fine on the first offense, but you can be sent to jail up to six months for the second offense.

To prove an offense of disorderly conduct, the Commonwealth must prove that you either:

  • Engaged in fighting or threatening

  • Engaged in violent or tumultuous behavior

  • Created a hazardous or physically offensive condition by an act that served no legitimate purpose of the defendant’s

This conduct must also be "reasonably likely to affect the general public." The Commonwealth must also prove that you intended to cause "public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm," or that you recklessly did so.

The conduct must affect the public, meaning people in a place where the public (or a substantial group) has access to.

Disorderly conduct is difficult to prove when it is only words because words are protected by the First Amendment. Basically, if you are charged with disorderly conduct based only on what you said, what you said must be really bad, or "fighting words," (more than just impolite or curse words) for you to be guilty of disorderly conduct.

If you've been charged with disorderly conduct or a similar offense, it's critical to contact a Massachusetts criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to get started on your defense. Contact me today so we can get started.

My office is located in Boston, Massachusetts, but I handle criminal cases, including disturbing the peace, in all Massachusetts courts. Contact me at 617-356-8217.