Make an Appointment Now!


45 Bromfield Street

Suite 500

Boston, MA 02108

Downtown Crossing near Granary Burying Ground between Nine Bar and Bromfield Jewelers










Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other times by Appointment.


  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

DISCLAIMER: You may not use this website to provide confidential information about a legal matter of yours to me. Your use of this website does not make you my client or even my prospective client. If you have confidential information that you would like to give me, please communicate with me in person or by telephone–not by filling in any form on this website or by sending an unsolicited email to me.

  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 by Law Office of Matthew W. Peterson

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Nav Map

best criminal defense lawyer boston ma
  • Matthew W. Peterson

What is a Bona Fide Marriage for Immigration Purposes?

Updated: Mar 13

If you're applying for a green card through marriage, you have to prove a bona fide marriage. This can be a complex thing to do in most cases.

An adjustment of status application because of marriage requires that you prove your marriage is real and not for the purposes of getting a green card. This is the requirement to prove a bona fide marriage.

USCIS wants proof that you're not just married to get a green card - that you're actually married. This can require a lot of documents and is generally one of the most difficult parts about an adjustment of status application.

With your adjustment of status application, you should send proof of your bona fide marriage. USCIS is generally looking for proof that you live together and commingle funds.

This can include some of the following documents:

  • Apartment Lease with Both Spouses Listed

  • Bank Statement with Both Spouses Listed

  • Affidavits from People Familiar with Your Relationship

  • Health Insurance, Life Insurance, or Car Insurance with Both Spouses Listed

  • Pictures of You Together Over a Period of Time

This isn't an exhaustive list, and you should consult with an immigration attorney before trying to do your own immigration paperwork.

At your adjustment of status interview, USCIS officers could separate you and your spouse and ask you about details of your relationship as well.

If you're applying for adjustment of status, proving a bona fide marriage is one of the most important aspects. I handle immigration cases, including adjustment of status, in Massachusetts. Call me today at 617-356-8217, and let's get started.