Make an Appointment Now!


45 Bromfield Street

Suite 500

Boston, MA 02108

Downtown Crossing near Granary Burying Ground between Nine Bar and Bromfield Jewelers










Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other times by Appointment.


  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

DISCLAIMER: You may not use this website to provide confidential information about a legal matter of yours to me. Your use of this website does not make you my client or even my prospective client. If you have confidential information that you would like to give me, please communicate with me in person or by telephone–not by filling in any form on this website or by sending an unsolicited email to me.

  • Google Places Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 by Law Office of Matthew W. Peterson

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Nav Map

best criminal defense lawyer boston ma
  • Matthew W. Peterson

What is a Continuance Without a Finding (CWOF) in Massachusetts?

Updated: Dec 7, 2019

A continuance without a finding (CWOF) can be a great alternative to a guilty finding, if you can complete probation.

In a CWOF, you admit that the Commonwealth could prove sufficient facts against you, but there is no guilty finding. Instead, you are placed on probation for a period of time, and the judge can also impose other conditions. If you complete those conditions, the case is dismissed.

A CWOF is not without risks, though. If you violate the conditions of the CWOF, you are not entitled to go to trial because you already admitted that the Commonwealth could prove the case.

Furthermore, a CWOF counts as a conviction for immigration purposes. If you're not a citizen, then, getting a CWOF can lead to removal or not being allowed back into the country.

A Massachusetts Criminal Defense Attorney can help you secure a CWOF for your case. Generally, the case must be relatively minor for the court to impose a CWOF, but contact me today so we can evaluate your case. Call me today at 617-356-8217, and let's get started on your defense.